Sunday, March 19, 2006

...the lesser man I will become...

Assalamualaikum and peace be upon you...

Day of the Sun,
19th dawn of the Time of Lent,
Year of the Caminus Canis,

2nd day of the 2nd month of being a Slave to the Slaves of Lucre...
___________ooOoo___________

Driftwood
(dedicated to my and your parents, and to you who are parents)

There on the grayish muddy banks of the river Aetatis, does the seemingly worn out ugly damp dirty body of wood that used to be a lush green tree shored.

The beautiful white cranes, the elegant swans, the bulky buffaloes and all the other animals that come to quench their thirst or to play between the gentle waves of Aetatis gave no attention to that body of wood.

Why should they?

The body of wood is only useful to them when it was still a tree with big strong trunk, long brawny branches, lush green canopy, sweet juicy fruits and heavenly sap.

They could sip away their sins of summer with the heavenly sap.

They could rid their bellies of the bullies of the barren days with the juicy fruits.

They could hide their hinds from the hellish sun under the shade of the lush green canopy.

They could nest and rest between the long brawny branches.

They could scratch the ticklish ticks that annoyingly tickling their backs against the big strong trunk.

Now, as an ugly damp dirty worn out body of wood, what use do they have for it? For them, it is just an ugly ornament on the river bank. To tarnish the already ugly surroundings of the river bank is the current use of the wood.

But, if one were to listen to the tales of the worn out ugly damp dirty wood as told by the gentle waves of Aetatis, one would certainly smile in tears. The tales of the poor poor wood is full with bright beautiful colors painted on a black canvas.

The waves of Aetatis would always say to the ones that would listen, "Come eager ears and ride on our backs, we will carry you along the path that the wood has traveled from the head of Aetatis to this river bank cove to the Sea of Clausula,"

"We, the waves of Aetatis were not always this gentle," they would begin their tale.

"As the children of the streams that feed the path of Aetatis, we were unforgiving and full with vigor," they would continue, "we have to, as our friends, the rocks on the river bed, would not bulge from the place where they sit. If we were as gentle as we are now we would never be here, ever."

"The poor poor wood was a witness to our childhood. On the river banks near the head of Aetatis, does the wood stood so gallantly as a strong big tree, bracing the trials of the winds and the sun and the bruises on the river banks caused by our runs, so that goodness would come to those who seek sanctuary under his lush green canopy,"

"We saw how happy those who refuged under the tree are. We saw how the tree turn its salty tears into heavenly saps so that those who seek sanctuary under its canopy would not be harm by sorrowful sweats of the sun,"

"All took as the tree gave, but all left as the tree falls," sadly whisper the gentle waves,"it humbly bow down to fullfil Mother Earth will."

"You know, Mother Earth is a lady with paradoxical compassion," would the gentle waves continue.

The waves go on to say that, to the tree Mother Earth has said, "Tree, now its time for you to rest." And to Mother Earth the Tree has asked in reply, "Why?"

"So that those that took what you gave would give back to you," say Mother Earth.

"But I give what I gave willingly," argue the Tree.

"True you did, child of mine, but, now its time for them to take on your role, and to learn your values as has been pre-ordained," explained Mother Earth.

"Why?" the Tree again asked, confused, "So that they will be as beautiful as you are my child," answered Mother Earth, "and so that all in this world would be blessed by the blessings that flows trough you.”

"Then rest I shall" the Tree accepted.

"Than rested you will be," says Mother Earth “not as a tree but as a wood that will drift along with the waves of Aetatis and who would carve you with intriguing carvings."

"But why?" tree asked, again confused.

"So that you will find one that is true, who would see the carvings not as ugly scars but as a picture as beautiful as the heavenly stars," says Mother Earth enlightening the Tree.

"Thus the tree falls into our embrace," explain the gentle waves, "and vanish the ones who used to took refuge under the Tree with out no trace,"

"As willed by Mother Earth, we carved intriguing carvings on the fallen Tree," continue the waves sadly, "we rip it of its leaves, broke its brawny branches and we carried him on our backs to this grayish muddy banks of this cove."

There on the grayish muddy banks of the river Aetatis, does the seemingly worn out ugly damp dirty body of wood that used to be a lush green tree shored.

The beautiful white cranes, the elegant swans, the bulky buffaloes and all the other animals that come to quench their thirst or to play between the gentle waves of Aetatis gave no attention to that body of wood.

Suddenly, the calmness of the majestic beasts were stirred.

The calmness is stirred by the foot steps of a man and his child.

To the seemingly worn out ugly damp dirty body of wood they walked.

"Papa, of what use do you have for this ugly thing?" asked the child, "its dirty and damp and ugly, yucks!" And with a jeering look the child turns and says, "Leave it papa! It's yucky!"

The man look at his child and with loving smile the man answered, "Child, try to look more carefully at the wood, then tell me what you see under all of those muckiness."

Obediently but reluctantly the child turns to have another look at the wood, the child's forehead was wrinkled with confusion, "what is there to see?" wondered the child's heart.
Moments later, the frown vanished and were replaced by lights in the child's eyes.

"I see you and I see me," says the child with a voice marking awe and enlightenment.

"I see you and I see me, Papa, the wood is us," says the child "I saw the beauty of life and I saw the value of us."

The man kisses the child’s head and lovingly says, "Come child, let us take this wood home, clean it and put it in your room."

"Forever when you see this driftwood, you will know how much I love you," says the man to the child.

___________ooOoo___________

The Untitled Prose

In another time, another tale will come.

maybe,

of the things that the Demon saw as a Slave to a Slave.
For now, the Demon would rest.
But before he lay,
a favor he would like to ask of you,
take this tale back with you,
keep and read this post you do,
to the self that is you,
to your children you love so true,
and to your parents whose love have carved you,
As a gift of love that is so true,
hidden in the Demon’s heart by the color of blue.

___________ooOoo____________


Glosary

Aetatis = age
Clausula = conclusion
___________ooOoo___________


The Untitled Prose:

Is a my request to all that read this particular entry to take it, post it, read it or gift it to yourself, your spouses, you significant others and your children. I hope that it would manifest the love that you have to those who you gave this post to.
The smile that they would show you is my reward.
A reward that would go to my beloved parents in the form of God’s blessings.

THANK YOU
___________ooOoo___________

34 comments:

Kak Teh said...

Salam, this is so touching, coming to me at a phase in my life where I feel I am no longer that strong tree to offer a strong branch to my children. But I drift along hoping that they will clutch on to me when they feel they are drowning - for I will always be there - afloat and waiting. Thanks.

demonsinme said...

KAK TEH: You are much wellcome.

Please, if you don't mind give this to your loved ones.

Their smile would bring blessings to my parents.

Anonymous said...

This is BEAUTIFUL.

I LOVE it.

I, THANK YOU.*sob*

Najwa Aiman said...

:D philosophical indeed demon... as usual... it's ur trademark though...

yes! i luv it!

AuntyN said...

It is going to take me a while to actually read this well. Although I do undestand wht you are trying to imply. As it is I will komen more later.

demonsinme said...

MIS MEEN: Beautiful is for you, not me nor my posts.

MASTER NAJWA: Its an honor to have you grace this posts.

ACIK N: No matter, its a gift for all.

TO ALL:

Please, if you don't mind give this to your loved ones.

Their smile would bring blessings to my parents.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this enlightening post; it reminds me with this quote: Love is eternal; the aspect may change, but not the essence... :)
doel

hamka said...

. Thanks demon…
A very wise analogy

he he
This is good for my health and better to understand this now so that we can start it now! (I am father of 2 kids…this September become 3, oh thank God!)

Anonymous said...

i love it

thewailer said...

I read it myself and to the loved ones, it took some time to print this post (if you don't mind), a transpiring analogy. beautiful. I thank you.

demonsinme said...

ANON: Thank you for reading it

AKHI: Senyum anak-anak akhi itu rahmah unutuk saya.

MY FRIEND, MASTER WAULER: More beautiful is the friendship you extended me.

AuntyN said...

deme : You are so philosophical. But this one really has got the very essence of gretness.

If one can see a driftwood and reflect it to oneself and their generation, This world will be blessed. At times, one only see driftwood as something which only fit to be placed in rubbish dumps or to be made into kayu api. Blessed are the children who can see that a driftwood was once a strong tree.

Gukita said...

Thanks AKH Demon, you are ever so eloquent and poetic with words as always. But such style of writing is not everybody's cup of tea; some does not have the time to really search deep down to understand it.

Anyway, the anology is touching. The tree has always been used as something that gives root, shelter, succour, sustainance; just so like parents. Driftwood should never be any parents ending. They are more apt to be wood crafts to be marvelled at and loved and placed on the wall at the main living room. See my posts on father's day and fatherhood; 22/06/05 and 03/10/05.

Inn said...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank u.

i dont know why i like the line

"not as ugly scars but as a picture as beautiful as the heavenly stars"

that aside, in some other strange ways the wood reminds me to the one that the thistle hair gentleman used kidnapped Arabella Strange in Johnathan Strange& Mr Norrell. i know, it think of the weirdest thing all the time. heh.

Maya said...

i've already forwarded to my parents.. hope that would bring smile to you as you did to me. and tks for your very special & warm invitation to visit this entry (i assume same goes to others) and im touched. its a lovely entry and sacred. thank you.

Awang Goneng said...

You have deep thoughts, you see the detail in everyday things. That's the writer's eye.

Thanks for inviting me here. I have been rewarded.

MidlifeCrisisDolmat said...

Wonderful prose, Lord Demon, utterly wonderful. This was less cryptic than most of your entries, and that suits me just fine.

Gukita does have a good point about such style not being accesible to most people. But I see that that is your style, and I feel that you should stay true to your personal way of expression.

Count Byron said...

Sobering.. I shed my fair share of tears at your beautiful crafting of the piece. Parents are either appreciated in the true sense of the word, or neglected and taken for granted; and so do driftwoods. Lucky are those who revere their parents cos he will be in the fold of God's Mercy.. and woe and betide befallen the other lot for they too will be treated the way they treat their parents.. and their offsprings will be the perpetrators.. This cycle never fails to amaze me..cos it is so predictable!

Thanks Deme my son. One day your children will appreciate you with hearts full of love, that I'm sure

Anonymous said...

Hey Master Demon!

To me, the story inteprets itself as everything you do will eventually get back to you. The circle of life or whatever you want to call it.

I always treat others the way I myself would want to be treated and to me, thats what the story symbolises. I like it!

anggerik merah said...

Hi Lord Demon,

very philosophical & very touching too...
Thanks for inviting me. I feel honoured.

My curiosity...livinglikeadeadman? why?

Blabarella said...

I got IN!!! :)

Now that I've dried my tears, I am completely speechless. I found the analogy beautiful, so beautiful that I actually wanted to go out, look for a stream, keep an eye out for driftwoods, pick them from the stream and then give them their respective special places for the role(s) they have played. There is so much passion in this post, it melts the heart.

Like what Awang Goneng said - you certainly have the writer's eye.

If you don't mind, I'd like to forward this post to my friends - the non-blogging ones. This is to precious to not share.

God bless you.

demonsinme said...

TO ALL, I thank you for your kind reply and praises, but, I am not woorthy for such kind words. I am sorry for the delay in me replying to all of your comments, it seems that the freedom I enjoyed before is no longer a luxury.

MASTER DOEL: I humbly agree with you on that, the essence of love may never change.

LADY WITCH: I am glad that you find likings to my unworthy entry and I thank you too.

ACIK N: I am not philosophical, just demented and ditorted. But true, blessed is the child who see a driftwood as a once strong tree.

ME LORD le UNC de la AKH: I understand that this style of writing is not everyone cup of tea and I thank you for reminding me. But my intention of writing thuis entry and inviting all to come is so that it would bring smile to them and thus bringing blessings to my parents.

LADY INN: You are wllcome and no you do not think of it at the wierdest time.

LADY MAYA: Thank you, it will bring not only smiles to me but also blessings for my parents.

SIR AWANG GONENG: My thoughts are as shalloe as my heart buried three inches from the meat on my chest. Thank you, but I think your visit here is more rewarding to me.

MASTER SHARIMAN: Thank you, yes I do realise that. But still as you say it your self I have to be true to my self.

ME LORD le ABAH de la COUNT: Its been a while since you visited my humble space, your presence is a great belssing for me. My only wish is that you would share it with your love ones.

LIL' KIDDO: In a way it does, doesn't it? And that is a good way for to you to lead.

LADY RED ORCHID: Thank you. Living like a dead man is because that is the way I am feeling right now.

LADY BLABS: You presence is very much appreciated. Please do share it with your love ones as it would bring loads of blessings for my parents.

Anonymous said...

My dear, so touching.....thanks for sharing...muah!

anggerik merah said...

Lord demon, I may have missed the whole story. Forgive me. As I only have a simple mind and I may need time to understand and digest. Please forgive me because I have this question in my simple mind...we live in this world only once before we move on to the permanent world. Why must a person live like a dead man but in reality he/she is still alive in this world. I am sure some where, some thing or some one out there can point out what life is all about and be contented with it. Just like waking up in the morning saying to ourself I am glad that I have another life to live in this world. Please forgive me..

Ordinary Superhero said...

Aiikk, I thought I have left my comments during my prebious visit. Nevermind. Lord Demon, here I am in awe of your masterpiece.

demonsinme said...

MISS MUAH: I thank you for accepting what I want to share.

LASY RE ORCHID: I'm a live like a dead man so that I could appreciate more the true meaning of life.

MASTER ORDINARY SUPERHERO: Awe not my entry, as it is no masterpiece, its just a lame writing of a fickled minded man. But, if it brings a smile to your face, do share it with your loved ones so they too would smile.

Your smile and theirs would bring much blessings to my parents.

Bustaman said...

Well done. A pleasure to read, an honour to be invited. Thank you.

demonsinme said...

MASTER BUSTAMAN: The honour is all mine, It is I who should thank you.

thewailer said...

how is it going, ya akhi? I am wasting time here in the blogspehere...you can notice the lame subject I find amusing...that's a red light! beep beep hehe take care man.

demonsinme said...

MASTER WAILER al-AKH:

Things going not too shabby not to well for me here. That so called lame subject of yours, is not lame at all. Its one of the pleasures of life that most of us forgets. Just like time.

You take care too bro.

Fara said...

Lordy, that's a beautiful analogy ...
i'm in awe.

:O

demonsinme said...

Miss FARA: Longbtime no see...

Anonymous said...

dear D.I.M,

i have postponed coming here, plainly because of the red fonts that i find so hard to read, sorry, i am weird like that.

i am glad i finally did today.

priceless, this one.

well done.

demonsinme said...

LADY FLAUXDIAMENTE:

And I'm glad that you did come.